Shock Treatment is a disinfection process necessary when a water system has been contaminated by pathogenic and nonpathogenic microorganisms, caused by a presence of decayed material, animal or human waste, and other contaminants.

Shock Treatment involves incorporating of chlorine to pool water in amounts that are larger than the standard amounts. Shock treating is highly essential as it protects you and your family from bacteria and other organic or inorganic contaminants.

A shock treatment adds 5-10 ppm FAC (Free Available Chlorine). This concentration amount is ideal for preventing and counteracting common pool water problems. The pump and filter must be in operation as the pool water undergoes the treatment. After the process, the FAC level must be 1-4 ppm before entering the pool.

NOTE: For best results, always adjust pH to 7.2 to 7.6 before shock treatment.

When Should You Shock Treat?

When opening and closing your pool, it is necessary for you to shock it.
Preferably, shock treating is done weekly to eliminate bacteria, algae and other contaminants. It is recommended that shocking be performed at the same time and on the same day, weekly. Sundown is the optimum time for water shocking as the chlorine may work without the problem of the sun’s ultraviolet rays and allows the chlorine to repair water clarity.

An additional shock treatment should be given when any of the following situations occur:


Heavy use

Extreme weather conditions

Severe sun exposure

Swimmers complain of eye irritation

Unpleasant odors

Appearance of algae

Cloudiness in water